What you need to know banner

coming to canada iconCOMING TO CANADA

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

In order to live, work or study in Canada, you must apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), and receive permission and the proper documentation before you arrive.

Review the information below and follow the links for more information on categories of Canadian Residency:

Temporary Work Permit

A temporary work permit enables certain types of workers to enter Canada. It is specifically for people who:

  • have employment confirmed in Canada prior to arriving, and
  • plan to stay for a short period of time and then return to their home countries.

Study Permit

A study permit gives you permission to come to Canada for educational purposes, but only for a specified period of time. When it expires, you are required to leave Canada.

To apply for a study permit, you will need to provide proof of acceptance from an educational institution, as well as other documents.

Residents of certain countries will also need temporary-resident visas.

Permanent Resident

If you recently moved to Canada but haven’t yet applied for citizenship, you may become a permanent resident. Permanent residents are granted many rights and privileges, such as the right to receive most social benefits, including health care coverage, and the right to live, work and study anywhere in Canada. However, permanent residents cannot vote, run for political office or hold certain jobs that require a high security level.


Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) selects immigrants based on their ability to adapt to Canada's labour market. Express Entry is a program launched in January 2015 to help the Government of Canada manage application through the Federal Skilled Worker Program. The Express Entry Year - End Report 2015 will provide more information such as the top 10 invited occupations in 2015.


In order to qualify for a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa, Canadian Federal Skilled Worker (Professional) applicants must:

  • Have at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time, paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count), in the same job, within the last 10 years, and at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).
  • Have a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, Or a completed foreign credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC. [The report must show your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree.]
  • Pass a minimum threshold of language ability for one of Canada's two official languages (English/French)




Citizenship grants you all the rights and privileges of Canadian citizens, including the right to:

  • work and study anywhere in the country,
  • receive health care benefits,
  • vote, and
  • run for political office.

If you want to become a Canadian citizen, you must:

  • determine if you are eligible,
  • apply for citizenship, and
  • successfully complete the citizenship test.

The links below will link you to additional information on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website:

Temporary Work Permit
For more information, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s temporary work permit site.

Study Permit
To learn more, see Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s study permit site.

Permanent Resident
For more information, see Citizen and Immigration Canada’s site on permanent residency.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

For more information, see Citizenship and Immigration Canada's site on the Federal Skilled Worker Program

Canadian Citizenship
For more information, see Citizenship and Immigration’s site on citizenship.